Friday, October 8, 2010

Work Experience? SORTED!

For those of you thinking of doing TY, I strongly advise you to get cracking on your work experience as quickly as you can. Of course there's the problem that you mightn't be able to get a placement but to be honest it's more stressful when you leave it to the last minute.
If, like me, you're interested in human rights then Amnesty International (http://amnesty.ie) is the way to go. To organise, I called their Irish office and then they sent me out an application form. Questions are asked about why you applied- so my guess is that interest in human rights is vital.
For the second week (in March), I decided to get looking for something to do with law. I went onto the Law Library website (http://lawlibrary.ie), quicksearched barristers and contacted as many as I could. I sent emails to some and called others. One barrister was unable to answer his phone so he called me back saying that he would be delighted to take me on for a week in March.

I'm very lucky that I got the two work experiences that I was looking for (I plan to study Law in TCD and then become a human rights barrister), stress on lucky. If you really want to do work experience somewhere, then use your contacts (and your head..) to get it :)

Niamh Mc, x

No comments:

Post a Comment